The Australian Uniroos kicked of their campaign on Friday at the 2023 World University Games in Chengdu, China. The World University Games is a biennial multisport event that brings together student-athletes from around the world. The 2023 event has been postponed twice, once in 2021 and again in 2022, due to the COVID pandemic.
All Aussie athletes were competing on Sunday morning, with racing starting at 11am AEST:
- Louisa Bongrain in the Women’s Single placed fourth in her heat, successfully navigated the repecharge to the semi and will race the B Final.
- The Women’s Double of Sophie Reinehr and Danica Free placed 4fourth in their heat and progressed through the repecharge to book a lane in the A Final.
- The Lightweight Women’s Double of Sophie Robinson and Maggie Foley will also race the A Final after placing third in their heat and repecharge.
- In a tough field, Jackson Free in the Men’s Single will race the B Final following his heat and repecharge performances.
- Alec Paterson and Darcy Watter in the Men’s Double will also race the B Final.
- Damien Schroder has had a big regatta in the Lightweight Men’s Single, progressing through his heat, a repecharge win and a semi, and will race the B Final.
- The Lightweight Men’s Double of Nicholas Szigeter and Benjamin Whitmee will contest the B Final after a tough race in their repecharge.
- The Mixed Quad of Danica Free, Jackson Free, Sophie Reinehr and Darcy Watter will contest the A Final after a strong performance in the repecharge.