Rowing is a sport that values teamwork, cooperation & leadership and one that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities.
Rowing Australia is committed to ensuring that a diverse range of athletes continue to enjoy our sport for years to come and to providing a safe environment in which to do so.
Rowing Australia has developed this policy to reinforce its commitment to providing an environment for participants of all ages and backgrounds that is safe, free from harassment and abuse, and promotes respectful and positive behaviour and values.
The policy provides a code of conduct forming the basis of appropriate and ethical conduct which everyone must abide by. All State and Territory Associations and rowing clubs will also be required to adopt this policy.
This policy is an essential part of Rowing Australia’s proactive and preventative approach to tackling inappropriate behaviour within our sport. I trust that all administrators, coaches, athletes and support staff will assist me in promoting safe and responsible behaviour within rowing.
President and Chairman
Purpose of this Policy
This Member Protection Policy (“policy”) will work towards maintaining ethical and informed decision-making and responsible behaviours within our sport. The policy aims to ensure our core values, good reputation and positive behaviours and attitudes are maintained. It assists us in ensuring that every person involved in our sport is treated with respect and dignity, and is safe and protected from abuse. This policy informs everyone involved in our sport of his or her legal and ethical rights and responsibilities and the standards of behaviour that are required.
The policy attachments outline the procedures that support our commitment to eliminating discrimination, harassment, child abuse and other forms of inappropriate behaviour from our sport. As part of this commitment, Rowing Australia Ltd (RA) will take disciplinary action against any person or organisation bound by this policy if they breach it.
- Has been made pursuant to the Constitution of Rowing Australia Ltd and has been endorsed by the Rowing Australia Board;
- And/or its attachments may be amended from time to time by resolution of the Rowing Australia Board;
- And its attachments can be obtained from our website (www.rowingaustralia.com.au); and
- Will commence on 9 October 2015 and will operate until replaced.
- Is supported by Member Protection Policies that have been adopted and implemented by Rowing Australia’s Member State and Territory Associations, and affiliated clubs and schools.
Who this Policy applies to
This policy applies to the following people, unless they have varied their agreement with RA by consenting to be bound by a Policy which complements or supersedes this policy, whether they are in a paid or unpaid/voluntary capacity:
- Rowing Australia Ltd;
- Persons appointed or elected to RA’s Board, committees and sub-committees;
- Employees of RA;
- Members of the RA Executive;
- Support personnel appointed or elected to RA teams and squads (e.g. managers, physiotherapists, psychologists, masseurs, sport trainers, etc);
- Coaches and assistant coaches, including national representative coaches;
- Athletes, including national representative athletes;
- Boat Race Officials including referees, umpires and other officials involved in the regulation of the sport;
- Employees and volunteers;
- Members, including life members of RA;
- Athletes, coaches, officials and other personnel participating in events and activities, including camps and training sessions, held or sanctioned by RA;
- Any other person or organisation that is a member of or affiliated to RA; and
- Parents, guardians, spectators and sponsors to the full extent that is possible, including where spectators, parents/guardians and sponsors, who or which agree in writing (whether on a ticket, entry form or otherwise) to be bound by this policy]