Principal Medical Officer – Dr Lisa Elkington BMed
Dr Elkington’s role sees her develop and revise protocols for the best practice management of common rowing related injuries and illnesses, provide ongoing rowing specific ‘world’s best’ education to the RA preferred provider network and act as an advisor to the Board of Rowing Australia on all medical and anti-doping matters. She is also responsible for the oversight of the medical services to the two National Training Centres, and as the Team Doctor for major tours and competitions.
Dr Elkington ensures the compliance of RA with the AIS Sports Medicine Best Practice Principles and advises the RA High Performance Unit on the selection and appointment of appropriate clinicians for all Australian Rowing Teams (Junior, U21, U23 and Senior A).
The primary roles of the RA Principal Medical Officer are to:
1. Coordinate the medical care of priority Australian Rowing Team (ARTeam) athletes through the daily training and team environments
2. Monitor the progress of any injury or illness in a priority ARTeam athlete and provide expert advice to athlete, coach and managing medical practitioner as required
3. Provide ongoing rowing specific “world’s best” education to the RA preferred provider network
4. Develop and revise protocols for the best practice management of common rowing related injuries and illnesses
5. Act as an advisor to the Board of Rowing Australia on all medical and anti-doping matters
6. Advise the RA High Performance Team on the selection and appointment of appropriate clinicians for all ARTeams
7. Ensure compliance of RA with the AIS Sports Medicine Best Practice Principles
About Dr Lisa Elkington
Dr Lisa Elkington graduated from the University of Newcastle Medical School and spent 6 years working mainly in general medicine and emergency medicine before moving into full time sports medicine.
Lisa worked with a variety of sports in the Department of Sports Medicine at the Australian Institute of Sport for four years and began working with the Australian Rowing Team during this time.
In 2017 Lisa was the medical service provider at the Hancock Prospecting Women’s National Training Centre in Penrith and started as Rowing Australia’s PMO in January 2018.
Prior to taking on this role, Lisa has been working for Athletics Australia and was the Medical Lead for the Australian Athletics Team for the Rio Paralympics.
Lisa is dedicated to provision of best practice medicine in high performance sport, including injury rehabilitation and management, and illness prevention.
Rowing Australia Anti-Doping Policy
Sports Foods, Medical and Nutritional Supplementation Policy
Sleep and Sedative Policy
RA No Needles Policy
RA Illicit Drugs in Sport Policy
Event Policies – coming soon
Medical Management Policy
Preferred Provider Network
RA has a network of Physiotherapists & Doctors providing services to our elite rowers in the ARTeam and SIS / SAS environments. These Practitioners also work in private practice and provide Sports Medicine & Physiotherapy services to all aspiring elite, school and club level rowers. RA has also established a network of providers who have an interest in rowing and do not currently treat rowers at the elite level. The full list of providers can be accessed here 2018 (February) Preferred Providers List.