Background On Friday 23 October, Rowing Australia launched the McVilly-Pearce pin, named after Cecil McVilly, the first rower to represent Australia at an Olympic Games and Bobby Pearce, the first Australian rower to win an Olympic gold medal. Every rower who has represented Australia at Senior level at either a World Rowing Championships, Olympic or Paralympic Games or a Commonwealth Games will now receive a specially numbered pin to commemorate the first time they were selected to be part of an elite group of men and women who have had the honour to represent Australia on a world stage.
About the Pin
- The McVilly-Pearce pin is an embodiment of the great traditions and values of those who have represented and continue to represent Australia on the water.
- To date, there are 882 athletes who have represented Australia at a senior level, to find out if you’re eligible, please click here to review the list. Those marked in green have been presented with their pin.
- Every athletes has been delegated a number from the first time they were selected and raced for the Senior Australian Rowing Team.
- The McVilly-Pearce Pin is a two-piece pin, 18mm in diameter and made of bronze and copper with an Antique Patina centre piece.
- Each pin has an individual number and will be presented in an individual case to those rowers who have represented Australia dating back as far as 1912 through to the present day.
Are you on the list? Please provide us with your contact details. Rowing Australia would like to connect with all athletes, or their family members, who have represented the Australian Rowing Team at a senior level at a World Championships, Olympic Games, Paralympic Games or Commonwealth Games.
If you (or a member of your family) are on the list on the RA website, or think you should be, please email the following details to Rowing Australia on [email protected] or by fax on 02 6281 3910.
Full Name (please include maiden name, if rowed under that name): Year that you first represented Australia at a Senior Level: State: Boat represented: First eligible senior event raced (e.g. 1974 World Rowing Championships): Contact email: Contact phone number: Please click here to review the rules in regards to potentially being deemed eligible for a McVilly-Pearce Pin.
Pin Presentations Contact details are important so Rowing Australia can organise pin presentations. Pins will be handed out at various events over the coming months and years, including State Association Regattas and Functions, the Sydney International Rowing Regatta, the Australian Masters Regatta, Selection Regattas and other Rowing Australia functions. For more information on the program or if you have any queries, please email [email protected]